Matthew 25

Matthew 25

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me.....I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers, you did for me"




Saturday, February 26, 2011

Give a man a "goat"

In Jacmel, Saturday is the only day that farmers bring their livestock down from the mountains to sell at market. We woke early Saturday morning and drove the flatbed truck to Deye Kamaya, Jacmel to purchase our goats! I had no idea what to expect; however, I did know that I would be "hiding" in the truck while prices were negotiated! If an American "blanc" was seen at the market, prices could double! We arrived in Deye Kamaya around 7 am, where we were greeted by cattle, pigs, horses, and hundreds of goats. I had visions of negotiating a price and buying the goats from one "goat" farmer...I had no idea that the goats would be bought from many different farmers and prices had to be negotiated EACH time! What I thought would be a one to two hour venture ended up taking most of our day! I sat in the truck watching as each farmer came walking down the dirt road with their livestock tied to ropes. I had a crash course in goat science, the men explained what to look for to determine the health of a goat. Although our goats were loaded into the back of our flatbed truck, most animals were strapped to the back of a motorcycle!! 
We arrived back at the house where we unloaded each goat and tied them to a tree while waiting for the families to come. Once everyone arrived, the "goat giving ceremony" was opened with a prayer and applause from the grateful recipients. I was very moved by their gratitude. We explained that the goats were being donated by American families and they were NOT to be eaten!! We asked that each family donate one goat back to us in a year so that we can "pay it forward" and help another family in need!

No comments:

Post a Comment